The IC-8™ IOL: Big Advantages Through Small Apertures
A global panel of experts discuss their experience with the IC-8 small aperture IOL including visual performance, patient selection, setting expectations and post-op management pearls
The AcuFocus IC-8 intraocular lens extends depth of focus by combining small aperture technology with a monofocal lens. This innovative design – incorporating an opaque mini ring with a central aperture – provides cataract patients with excellent quality of vision over a broad range of distances.
Expert panel of ophthalmic surgeons
- Boon Ham (Australia): General/pediatric ophthalmologist with interest in cataract/glaucoma surgery. He began implanting the IC-8 IOL in 2016.
- Brendan Vote (Australia): General ophthalmologist with interests in cataract and retina; performs 750-1,000 cataract procedures per year. Has implanted the IC-8 IOL in ~80 patients since 2016.
- Christopher Chan (Australia): General/refractive ophthalmologist treating primarily glaucoma, AMD, DR, dry eye and cataracts. Has implanted the IC-8 IOL in over 100 cataract patients including those presenting with irregular astigmatism, and significant nocturnal glare. He has also evaluated use of the IC-8 IOL in combination with other EDOF lenses – Symfony/Symfony™ toric.
- Gerd Auffarth (Germany): Treats a complete spectrum of eye diseases; since 2015, has implanted the IC-8 IOL in a broad range of patients including cataract, refractive lens exchange, compromised corneas, and traumatic iris defects. He has also implanted the IC-8 lens in combination with the Oculentis MF 20™ lens.
- Jacqueline Beltz (Australia): Focuses on cornea, cataract, and refractive patients; recently completed a comparison of the IC-8 IOL versus moderate monovision with monofocal IOLs in 40 patients.
- Michael Shiu (Australia): Mainly treats cataract, glaucoma, and lens exchange patients; some AMD. Has implanted ~70 IC-8 IOLs, including bilateral IC-8 IOL implantation in irregular cornea patients, since 2018.
- Sathish Srinivasan (UK): Primarily treats cornea, cataract, and refractive patients. Has implanted ~50 IC-8 IOLs since 2016, including in post-laser vision correction patients, postkeratotomy patients, refractive lens exchange and cataract patients.