Business in Brief
The latest industry news – in 60 words or less
Phoebe Harkin | | Quick Read
- Johnson & Johnson Vision has entered into a global strategic collaboration with Menicon, a leading manufacturer of innovative contact lenses. The partnership is part of a broader commitment from the brand to create a novel portfolio of products (including therapeutic contact lenses) to manage the progression of childhood myopia.
- AcuFocus has submitted a Premarket Approval application to the FDA for its IC-8 small aperture IOL. The lens, an aspheric monofocal featuring an embedded filter with a small central aperture, is designed to mitigate the harmful visual effects of unfocused peripheral light and deliver continuous extended depth of focus.
- Samsara Vision, an organization offering visual prosthetic devices to late-stage AMD patients, announced its partnership with Medevise Consulting, a European commercial and clinically focused ophthalmology company. The two businesses will collaborate to support the commercial growth of Samsara Vision’s Tsert SI Implantable Miniature Telescope in Europe.
- Surface Ophthalmics has announced the appointment of Preeya K. Gupta as Chief Medical Advisor. Gupta, a tenured Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at Duke University Eye Center, will use her expertise in dry eye disease and other areas to guide the future of the company’s three clinical offerings.
- Ophthalmic medical product producer Iridex has entered into a strategic alliance with Topcon, a Japanese-based manufacturer and distributor with approximately US$1.3 billion in annual revenues. The transaction will provide multi-year funding for strategic growth initiatives, particularly those designed to drive expanded market penetration of Iridex’s unique non-incisional glaucoma therapy products.