Business in Brief
The industry’s contributions to the global fight against COVID-19
Phoebe Harkin | | Quick Read
- In light of global PPE shortages, SimulEYE has shifted its focus from the design of ophthalmic surgical training models to the manufacture and sale of protective equipment. The line currently consists of extra-large breath and germ shields and face masks, all built in the USA to stringent medical guidelines.
- Johnson & Johnson has partnered with BARDA to accelerate research into a potential COVID-19 vaccine. They have collectively invested $1 billion to increase global manufacturing capacity in the hopes of supplying more than one billion doses of the vaccine. Phase 1 human clinical studies are expected to start by September 2020, with the first batches available for use expected in early 2021.
- ImprimisRx has announced an exclusive agreement with US platform, Doxy.me, to provide more than 100,000 healthcare professionals with the Clinic level Doxy.me telemedicine solution for free. The move comes as recent regulation changes allow telemedicine services to cross state lines, limiting the need for face-to-face interaction.
- Bausch Health Companies has outlined several initiatives to support healthcare providers during the pandemic. They are ramping up production of chloroquine and azithromycin with the goal of donating products where and when needed, and have already begun donating antiviral VIRAZOL for nebulization in Italy.
- The US Federal Communications Commission has funneled $200 million into not-for-profit and teaching hospitals, clinics and local health agencies to support telehealth as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.
Enjoy our FREE content!
Log in or register to gain full unlimited access to all content on the The Ophthalmologist site. It’s FREE and always will be!
Or register now - it’s free and always will be!
You will benefit from:
- Unlimited access to ALL articles
- News, interviews & opinions from leading industry experts
- Receive print (and PDF) copies of The Ophthalmologist magazine
Or Login via Social Media
By clicking on any of the above social media links, you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.