Business in Brief
The latest industry news – in no more than 60 words
Geoffrey Potjewyd | | Quick Read
- Vance Thompson is appointed Euclid Systems’ Chief Medical Officer. Thompson is founder of Vance Thompson Vision in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and Professor of Ophthalmology at Sanford School of Medicine, at the University of South Dakota, Vermillion, USA. Euclid is a global leader in orthokeratology and myopia management.
- Monty Montoya has been appointed the CEO of TherOptix. Montoya is a founder and CEO of CorneaGen and founder of Aurion Biotech – previously known as the CEO of SightLife. TherOptix develops a drug-eluting contact lens system to deliver therapeutics to the eye. It has received orphan drug designation on a lead candidate for prevention of proliferative vitreoretinopathy.
- NovaBay and ImprimisRX have partnered up to promote prescription of Avenova, an antimicrobial lid and lash solution used for managing numerous eye conditions. ImprimisRx is a leading ophthalmology-focused pharmaceutical business that will promote Avenova, and NovaBay Pharmaceuticals is focused on Avenova commercialization for the eye care market.
- A nine-month preliminary extension pass has been granted to EyePoint Pharmaceuticals to pass through payment status for DEXYCU. EyePoint develops and commercializes therapeutics for serious eye disorders. Without the nine-month extension, pass-through payment status for DEXYCU (a treatment for postoperative inflammation following ocular surgery) would have ended on March 31, 2022.
- The refractive surgery council (RSC) reports very strong H1 laser vision correction (LVC) procedure volume growth – an 82 percent increase on 2020 so far in 2021. “LVC’s current momentum is a reflection of consumers’ desire to take control of their vision in what has been an uncertain, yet optimistic, moment in time,” said RSC Chairman, Jim Wachtman.